Have an Ingrown Toenail? We Can Help
Have an ingrown toenail? An ingrown toenail is a condition in which the nail grows into the skin. Ingrown nails usually affect the big toes. Ingrown toenails are a common, painful condition. Dr. Michael Gittleson in Chevy Chase, MD, offers treatments for ingrown nails. Keep reading to find out how we can help if you're dealing with this condition.
1. Antibiotics. In some cases, ingrown toenails break through the skin and allow bacteria to enter the surrounding tissues next to the toenail. The resulting infection is treated with prescription medication. Your podiatrist may recommend using oral or topical antibiotics, especially if your toe is infected or at risk of becoming infected.
2. Lifting the nail. Your doctor may carefully lift the corner of the toenail that's digging into the skin by placing a splint, or cotton wedge, under it. This separates the nail from the skin and helps the nail grow above the skin edge. At home, you will need to replace the material daily.
3. Partial nail removal. For a severe ingrown toenail, your health care provider may remove a portion of your ingrown toenail. Before the procedure, your doctor will numb your toe by injecting it with a local anesthetic. The procedure helps to prevent the ingrown nail from returning.
4. Complete nail removal. If you have chronic pain or the infection returns, your healthcare provider may suggest surgery to remove all of the ingrown nail. Complete removal of the nail is a simple procedure. Before the procedure, your doctor will numb your toe by injecting it with a local anesthetic.
5. Prevention. It's important to try and prevent ingrown toenails whenever possible. When you trim your toenails, you should trim them straight across and avoid rounded corners. The shoes you wear can also help prevent ingrown toenails. You want to wear shoes that are comfortable and give your toes room to move.
Ingrown toenails hurt, but you don't have to suffer. Don't wait! Call Dr. Michael Gittleson at 301-986-4900 today to schedule a consultation in Chevy Chase, MD. We can help you get rid of that ingrown toenail once and for all!